Make your own free website on
Rev Gigi's Family Geneology
Campbell Geneology
Campbell History
Campbell History II
Campbell Family Stories
Campbell photos
Bruce Geneology
Combs Geneology
Fugate Geneology
Lehman Geneology
Lehman Photos
Stewart Geneology
Somerville Geneology
Contact Me

One evening in 1755, Duncan Campbell of Inverawe was walking near his castle when a stranger, whose kilt was torn and bloody, approached him. The stranger begged Duncan to hide him, as he had killed a man in a dispute and was just ahead of his pursuers. Duncan led him to a recess in the castle, and swore that he would shelter the stranger.
A short time later the stranger's pursuers arrived at Inverawe. They informed Duncan that a man had killed Duncan's cousin (some versions say his foster- brother), that they were giving chase and asked Duncan if he had seen anyone. Remembering his oath to the stranger, Duncan declared that he had seen no one.
In the middle of the night Duncan woke in a state of terror. Standing over him was the ghost of his murdered cousin. "Inverawe, blood has been shed. Avenge my death!," wailed the ghost, and faded away.
The next morning Duncan went to the stranger's hiding place and informed him that he could no longer give him shelter, as it was Duncan's kinsman that the stranger had slain. "You have sworn to shelter me," answered the stranger. Duncan, torn between loyalty to his kin and having given his word, decided on a compromise. Once again promising not to betray the stranger, Duncan led him to Ben Cruachan and hid him in a cave.
That night, as Duncan lay tossing, the ghost appeared again. "Inverawe, blood has been shed. Avenge my death," cried the ghost. Duncan refused. "I have sworn to give the man shelter," he replied to the ghost of his cousin, as the ghost, once more, faded away.
The third evening the ghost returned, again demanding that Duncan avenge him. When Duncan once more refused the ghost responded, "Farewell, then. We shall meet again at Ticonderoga." The strange name meant nothing to Duncan, or anyone else.
Three years later Duncan, now a major in the Black Watch and second in command, was sent with his regiment to fight the French in North America. His fellow officers were well aware of both Duncan's story of his cousin's ghost and his terror at the name of Ticonderoga. The regiment received orders to attack Fort Louis (the French name for the fort), and they kept from Duncan the fact that this was also known by the natives as Ticonderoga.
The evening before the attack Duncan received another visit from his cousin's ghost. The next morning he awoke and went to his brother officers saying, "You have all deceived me. He came to my tent last night and told me; this is Ticonderoga! I shall die here."
Duncan was wounded in the battle that day and died of blood poisoning three days later.

"To live in peace one must first walk the path of learning, loving, and accepting." Rev Gigi